Symptoms of Myocarditis
A baby with myocarditis may have these symptoms:
- Fast heartbeat or arrhythmia
- Fast breathing
- Trouble feeding or working hard to breathe when feeding
- Failure to thrive
- Being restless or irritable
- Sweating more than normal
- Having little energy or not taking interest in anything
- Not putting out as much urine as normal
- Having pale or bluish hands and feet (cyanosis)
Older children may also have a cough, nausea, abdominal or chest pain, and swelling in their legs, feet and face. They may be more tired than normal.
To diagnose this condition, your doctor will examine your child, use a stethoscope to listen to their heart, and look for signs of infection or heart failure.
The doctor will ask for details about any symptoms your child has, their health history and your family health history.