Heart and Blood Conditions
Heart Failure Symptoms and Diagnosis
- For appointments in Seattle, Bellevue, Everett, Federal Way, Olympia, Tri-Cities and Wenatchee, call 206-987-2515.
- For appointments in Tacoma and Silverdale, call 253-272-1812.
- For appointments in Alaska, call 907-339-1945.
If this is a medical emergency, call 911.
- Seattle Children's Main Campus: 206-987-2515
- Bellevue Clinic and Surgery Center: 425-454-4644
- Everett: 425-304-6080
- South Clinic in Federal Way: 253-838-5878
- Olympia: 360-459-5009
- South Sound Cardiology Clinics: 253-272-1812
- Tri-Cities (Richland): 509-946-0976
- Wenatchee: 509-662-9266
- Pediatric Cardiology of Alaska: 907-339-1945
- Seattle Children's doctors provide many cardiac services at regional sites throughout the Pacific Northwest. See our complete list of Heart Center locations.
- If you are a provider, fax a New Appointment Request Form (NARF) (PDF) (DOC) to 206-985-3121 or 866-985-3121 (toll-free).
- No pre-referral work-up is required for most conditions. If you have already done testing such as an EKG, Holter monitor or echocardiogram, please fax this information as well as relevant clinic notes and the NARF to 206-985-3121 or 866-985-3121 (toll-free).
- Your patient will be seen as quickly as possible by the provider who is the best match for managing the current problem.
- View our complete Heart Center Referral Information (PDF).
Symptoms of Heart Failure
The symptoms of heart failure can include:
- Extreme tiredness (fatigue)
- Poor feeding
- Poor weight gain
- Pain in the stomach area
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Abnormal heart rhythm
Your child's symptoms will be unique and may depend on how long they have had a heart problem.
Heart Failure Diagnosis
If the doctor thinks your child has symptoms of heart failure, your child may have one or more tests, depending on their condition:
- A chest X-ray to see if the heart is enlarged
- An EKG, or electrocardiogram, to check heart rhythm
- An echocardiogram, or ultrasound of the heart, to look at the heart's structure and the way it is working
- Exercise testing to check how well their heart and lungs are working
- A heart catheterization study to get a more detailed look at the heart