News

Tiny Wire From BBQ Brush Lands Teen in Surgery

Tiny Wire From BBQ Brush Lands Teen in Surgery

Source: ABC News

Tristin Beck, 16, of Mountlake Terrace, Wash., was admitted to Seattle Children’s Hospital late last week, experiencing stomach pain and vomiting. On Sunday night, doctors performed exploratory surgery on his small intestine and found a problem no one expected, a wire from a grill brush. “We saw the glisten of metal off the light,” said Dr. Kimberly Riehle, a surgeon at Seattle Children’s.

About Seattle Children’s

Seattle Children’s mission is to provide hope, care and cures to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible. Together, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Research Institute and Foundation deliver superior patient care, identify new discoveries and treatments through pediatric research, and raise funds to create better futures for patients.

Ranked as one of the top children’s hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report, Seattle Children’s serves as the pediatric and adolescent academic medical center for Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho – the largest region of any children’s hospital in the country. As one of the nation's top five pediatric research centers, Seattle Children’s Research Institute is internationally recognized for its work in neurosciences, immunology, cancer, infectious disease, injury prevention and much more. Seattle Children’s Hospital and Research Foundation works with the Seattle Children’s Guild Association, the largest all-volunteer fundraising network for any hospital in the country, to gather community support and raise funds for uncompensated care and research.

For more information, visit seattlechildrens.org or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or on our On the Pulse blog.