Nutrition and Fitness
Lemon Chicken Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 small head of green leaf lettuce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- vinaigrette salad dressing to taste
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear into small pieces and set aside.
- Slice chicken breasts into strips and then cut strips into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pan, add the chicken, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add lemon juice, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Toss the lettuce with the vinaigrette dressing. Add chicken, lemon, and tarragon mixture and toss.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
54 g protein
10 g fat
2 g carbohydrate
0.8 g fiber
146 mg cholesterol
134 mg sodium
48 mg calcium
2.6 mg iron
Experiment with different types of lettuce leaves. Add additional salad ingredients like shredded carrots or red cabbage. If you don't have fresh tarragon, substitute 1 tsp. dried tarragon or thyme. Or try some of your favorite herbs, either fresh or dry, like thyme or oregano.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD