Nutrition and Fitness
If you don't have quinoa, substitute brown rice or whole-wheat couscous, but be sure to adjust the cook time as needed.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen chopped, mixed vegetables such as peas, carrots, green beans, corn
Equipment and supplies:
- Medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
What to do:
- Add vegetable stock or water to medium saucepan.
- Bring vegetable stock or water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper.
- Switch heat to low and cover pot with lid.
- Cook until water is evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in veggies with a fork.
- Place lid back on quinoa so that the heat from the quinoa cooks the vegetables.
- Serve immediately or place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
How much does this recipe make?
- 4 servings (consider making a double batch to serve for dinner and lunches)
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD