Nutrition and Fitness
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This tastes great when served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Yum!
Prep time: 80 minutes
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- Mix all wet ingredients and brown sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
- Gently whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix gently.
- Add in chopped walnuts and stir till just combined.
- Pour batter in greased, 8-inch bread pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 1 hour. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread should come out clean.
Serving size: one 1" slice
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
17 g protein
17 g fat
330 mg sodium
51 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This bread freezes very well. Eat half this week and freeze the rest for another time.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD