Nutrition and Fitness
Mealtime Makeover: Chicken Fingers
Use boneless, skinless chicken with high-fiber cereal and an egg substitute to make a healthier version of this favorite kids' meal. You can make it in batches and freeze it for reheating for future meals. It goes great with a cup of skim milk and cut-up veggies.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 4-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, rinsed, patted dry, and sliced into strips or 4 1-oz. boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- ¼ c. egg substitute or skim milk
- 1/3 c. flaked, high-fiber cereal, crushed
- 3 oz. cooked chicken fingers, typical fast food preparation
- Preheat oven to 350º F (176º C).
- Dip chicken strips into egg substitute or skim milk.
- Roll dipped chicken in high-fiber cereal to coat.
- Place coated strips on non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning after 9 minutes, until chicken is done (white, not pink, inside).
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|30 g protein
||15 g protein
|3 g fat
||15 g fat
|0.8 g sat. fat
||3 g sat. fat
|20 g carbohydrate
||15 g carbohydrate
|8 g fiber
||0 g fiber
|75 mg cholesterol
||75 mg cholesterol
|239 mg sodium
||670 mg sodium
|44 mg calcium
||2 mg calcium
|10 mg iron
||4 mg iron
|185 mcg folic acid
||n/a mcg folic acid
Note: Analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD