Note: This recipe is especially for kids who
need a gluten-free diet. Kids who need a gluten-free diet must
avoid foods that contain gluten, which is a type of protein found
in many foods.
This dish takes a while to cook, but it's easy to put
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb. lean ground turkey
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 c. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 3/4 c. light cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees
- In a large skillet, sautÃ©onion, pepper, and garlic in
vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook until browned. Drain excess
fat from turkey.
- Pour tomato sauce, corn, and milk into the skillet.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir in cornmeal and chili powder.
- Pour into well-greased 2-quart casserole pan and cover with
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese over the
- It is ready when a knife inserted in center comes out
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
26 g protein
13 g fat
4 g sat fat
28 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
722 mg sodium
393 mg calcium
2.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: March 2004
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.