Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially
for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF). Kids with CF often need to
consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional
This is a great appetizer or snack. It can easily be frozen into
individual servings that can be reheated at a later time.
- 1 lb. pork sausage, raw
- 3/4 c. all purpose baking mix
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 degrees Celsius).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form mixture into 1 inch (2 1/1 centimeters) balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until
cooked through. Center temperature of the sausage balls must
exceed 165 degrees (73 degrees Celsius).
3 sausage balls
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
12 g protein
23 g fat
571 mg sodium
151 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
This dish can easily be frozen before or after you cook it. Make
some today and freeze half of the batch to serve at a later
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: January 2004
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.