Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially
for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF). Kids with CF often need to
consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional
This classic is now packed with more calories and fat. The
creamy cheese flavor is sure to win over even the pickiest
- 6 c. water
- 1 (7.25 oz.) package of macaroni and cheese dinner
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. skim milk powder
- 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Boil the water in a medium pan.
- Stir in the macaroni.
- Boil for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the macaroni and return it to the pan.
- Add butter, whipping cream, skim milk powder, cheese, and
cheese sauce mix (from the macaroni and cheese dinner
- Reduce heat to low and mix well until the cheese has
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
16 g protein
32 g fat
870 mg sodium
305 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
For extra flavor, add one or more of the following:
- 1 c. broccoli, steamed
- 2 hot dogs, boiled and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: April 2003
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.