Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant
and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of
almost anyone's diet. Pregnant and breastfeeding women need
to consume extra calories and eat a variety of nutritious foods
to contribute to their baby's growth and
15 minutes, including cook time
- whole-wheat, low-carb tortilla (8" diameter)
- 1/3 c. low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeÃ±o pepper (optional)
- 1/3 c. Southwestern-style, precooked, packaged chicken
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place tortilla onto skillet; sprinkle with cheese, chicken,
and jalapeÃ±o, if using.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Fold tortilla in half; continue cooking an additional 1-2
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
24 g protein
6 g fat
2 g sat. fat
16 g carbohydrate
10 g fiber
26 mg cholesterol
874 mg sodium
186 mg calcium
1 mg iron
16 mcg folic acid
Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, and is rich in
vitamin A and calcium, all of which are essential during pregnancy
Mary L. Gavin, MD
Tracy Chivari, MS, RD, CDN
Date reviewed: May 2006
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.