Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant
and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of
almost anyone's diet. Pregnant and breastfeeding women need
to consume extra calories and eat a variety of nutritious foods
to contribute to their baby's growth and
10 minutes, including cook time
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. chopped green pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chopped onion
- 1/2 slice Canadian bacon, small dice
- 1-oz. slice Monterey Jack or American cheese
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin
- In small bowl, whisk together egg, green pepper, onion, and
- Pour into Pyrex custard cup.
- Microwave on high 1-11/2 minutes, or until cooked
- While egg is cooking, toast English muffin.
- Add cheese slice to one muffin half; add egg; top with other
1 egg sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
22 g protein
13 g fat
6 g sat. fat
27 g carbohydrate
5 g fiber
238 mg cholesterol
931 mg sodium
403 mg calcium
3 mg iron
57 mcg folic acid
Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding
This recipe is rich in protein, fiber, and calcium, which are
important nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Mary L. Gavin, MD, and Tracy Chivari, MS, RD, CDN
Date reviewed: May 2006
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.