Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and
breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost
anyone's diet. Pregnant and breastfeeding women need to
consume extra calories and eat a variety of nutritious foods to
contribute to their baby's growth and development.
25 minutes, including cook time
- 2 c. raw, broccoli florets, 1/4" chopped
- 2 c. shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1-lb. bag of whole-wheat pizza dough
- 8 oz. packaged, cooked, grilled chicken breast, 1/4"
- Preheat oven to 375Âº Fahrenheit (190Âº Celsius).
- Flour work surface.
- Divide dough into four equal parts; roll out one part at a
time into a rectangle.
- To assemble each pocket: On one half of dough add 1/2 c.
broccoli, 1/2 c. shredded cheese, and 1/2 c. diced chicken
- Fold other half of dough over top of filling to form pocket;
cut small hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- Place pockets on non-stick baking sheet; bake for 15-20
minutes or until golden brown (check instructions on pizza dough;
baking temperatures may vary depending on brand used).
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
35 g protein
16 g fat
7 g sat. fat
47 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
75 mg cholesterol
1400 mg sodium
417 mg calcium
1 mg iron
25 mcg folic acid
Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and
vitamins A and C, all of which are essential during pregnancy and
Mary L. Gavin, MD, and Tracy Chivari, MS, RD, CDN
Date reviewed: May 2006
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.