Note: This recipe is especially for kids who
need a gluten-free diet. Kids who need a gluten-free diet must
avoid foods that contain gluten, which is a type of protein found
in many foods.
This light vegetarian, gluten-free dish can be served with
steamed veggies, a salad, or baked potato.
- 3 bell peppers
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. corn
- 1 c. cooked rice
- 1/2 c. onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 oz. light cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 oz. Jalapeno Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cilantro
- 1/4 c. water
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
Spray 9"x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except
- Fill each pepper half with bean mixture and place in
- Pour 1/4 cup water into the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle each half with cheese. Bake
uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g protein
4 g fat
2 g sat. fat
29 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
8 mg cholesterol
351 mg sodium
107 mg calcium
1.3 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
Any color of peppers will work well in this recipe. If you would
like to add meat, consider adding 1/2 c. ground beef or turkey to
the bean mixture.
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: March 2004
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.