Note: This recipe is especially for kids with
lactose intolerance. Kids with lactose intolerance often need to
limit or avoid dairy products.
This meal is a good source of protein and fiber. It tastes even
better the next day!
- 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and in bite
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 c. salsa
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1/2 c. red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 c. onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. canned hot chili peppers, minced
- 2 c. cooked instant rice
- Mix together all ingredients, except rice, in a skillet.
- Simmer on top of stove for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
4 ounces of chicken and 1 1/3 cups of beans and rice mixture
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
5 g fat
1 g sat fat
40 g protein
42 g carbohydrate
7 g fiber
84 mg cholesterol
838 mg sodium
103 mg calcium
3.7 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
This can be served with yellow or brown rice. Consider
sprinkling soy cheddar cheese over the top of this dish.
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: November 2003
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.