Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially
for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF). Kids with CF often need to
consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional
- 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 c. walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. fettucine, cooked
- Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food
- Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process
- Mix in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the pesto to a small jar. (Pesto can be prepared 3
days in advance. Pour enough olive oil over sauce to cover. Cover
- Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not
to burn the cream.
- Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with
remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan in large bowl.
- Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
1 1/2 c.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
62 g fat
334 mg sodium
471 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chicken or shrimp to this dish to increase
Updated and reviewed by:
Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: May 2005
Originally reviewed by:
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.