Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially
for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF). Kids with CF often need to
consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional
This dish is packed with calories and can be served as a meal or
- 1 c. high-calorie
- 1/3 c. sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 1/3 c. onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 c. beef gravy
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- SautÃ© mushrooms, garlic, and onions until tender,
approximately 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cook beef until brown in skillet over medium heat,
approximately 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, gravy, carrot, Worcestershire,
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into a small baking dish or two oven-safe
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown, approximately 25
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
1 1/4 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
34 g protein
72 g fat
931 mg sodium
111 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient
Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N, CNSD
Date reviewed: July 2003
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice,
diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.