Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet. Most pregnant and breastfeeding women need to consume extra calories. Eat a variety of nutritious foods to get the vitamins and minerals that will support your baby's healthy growth and development.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp. butter spread with canola oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- Wash and dry sweet potato; prick with fork.
- Microwave potato on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together butter spread, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Carefully remove potato from microwave, wrap in foil, and let sit for another 3 minutes.
- Remove foil, cut slit in center of potato, and add brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Makes: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 potato
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
2 g fat
0.5 g sat. fat
38 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
2 mg cholesterol
96 mg sodium
42 mg calcium
1 mg iron
14 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of vitamin A and a good source of fiber, which are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2012
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995–2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.