Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but it can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 60 minutes, including cook time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 10 oz. alcohol-free red wine
- 10 oz. beef broth
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. catsup
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk cornstarch into beef broth; set aside.
- In nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Make sure oil is hot before browning chicken.
- Brown chicken on all sides: 2 minutes on each big side, 45 seconds on each thin side.
- Reduce heat to low and season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an additional 5 minutes per side.
- Add wine, beef broth/cornstarch, catsup, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Sauce will thicken slightly.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken breast + sauce
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
36 g protein
5 g fat
1 g sat. fat
6 g carbohydrate
82 mg cholesterol
518 mg sodium
32 mg calcium
2 mg iron
9 mcg folic acid
Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, B6, and niacin, which are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995–2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.