By using whole-wheat crust, part-skim cheese, turkey pepperoni, and mixed vegetables, this pizza offers kids more of the nutrients they need, with less fat and fewer calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 ready-to-bake whole-wheat pizza crust (10 inches in diameter)
- ½ c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. shredded part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- ½ c. (17 slices) turkey pepperoni
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 (2 slices) medium pizza (typical delivery-style pizza with pepperoni and thin crust)
- Preheat oven to 400º F (204º C).
- Spread pizza sauce on crust.
- Spread cheese on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle sliced mushrooms and pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
Serving size: 2 slices
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|22 g protein
||22 g protein
|11 g fat
||26 g fat
|3.6 g sat. fat
||10 g sat. fat
|52 g carbohydrate
||62 g carbohydrate
|8 g fiber
||3 g fiber
|24 mg cholesterol
||26 mg cholesterol
|980 mg sodium
||1507 mg sodium
|160 mg calcium
||259 mg calcium
|1 mg iron
||4 mg iron
|n/a mcg folic acid
||n/a mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use some of your favorite veggies for toppings instead of pepperoni and mushrooms. Peppers, broccoli, spinach, or fresh tomatoes are good options.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: May 2011
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995–2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.