Funded fourth-year medical student rotations in general pediatrics will be available at Seattle Children's Hospital from September through December 2015 for qualified applicants from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in medicine.
- Funding includes up to $2,000 for reimbursement of travel and housing.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to interview for residency during their rotation.
The program is designed to give students a chance to experience the exceptional training that the University of Washington has to offer. Students will spend four weeks on one of the ward teams at Seattle Children's Hospital and care for a variety of patients, from bread-and-butter pediatrics to medically complex patients in our tertiary care center. Students completing an acting internship will do three weeks of day shifts and five night shifts. Students will also be expected to attend morning report and noon conference daily, as well as attend all scheduled house staff teaching sessions and conferences.
In addition to building educational experience, this unique opportunity affords students rotating at Seattle Children's Hospital, the primary training site for the University of Washington (UW) Pediatric Residency, a chance to form a close working relationship with residents and attendings. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview for residency in pediatrics at the UW during their rotation in Seattle.
- Applicants for the funded positions must come from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine. This includes African Americans, Mexican Americans, mainland Puerto Ricans, and Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Native Hawaiians or Alaskan Natives).
- Applicants must provide:
- A letter of interest discussing their career goals
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a pediatric attending
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Completed application form
- Applications will be reviewed by members of the Residency Diversity Committee.
The application deadline is July 6, 2015. Applicants not selected for the funded rotation can, if interested, be entered into the general pool of applicants for unfunded acting internships and rotations.
- Applicants who are accepted for a funded fourth-year medical student rotation must also apply to and be accepted by the University of Washington School of Medicine Visiting Student Program. Interested students should review the requirements.
We strongly prefer that you email your application to the UW Peds Residency Diversity Committee.
If you must send a paper copy, please mail it to:
UW Peds Residency Diversity Committee
Attn: Drake Kendermore, Residency Manager
Graduate Medical Education
4800 Sand Point Way NE, MS OC.7.830
Seattle, WA 98105-0371
Please email us with any questions.