Safety and Wellness
Note: This recipe is especially for teens on a gluten-free diet, who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 c. grated raw potatoes
- ½ c. onion, chopped
- 6 oz. ground turkey sausage, cooked
- 1/3 c. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix potatoes and chopped onion.
- Press potato mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Spread cooked sausage evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle cheeses evenly over the sausage.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, and spices.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the cheeses.
- Lower oven temperature to 350ºF (176ºC). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and knife inserted comes out clean.
Serving size: 1/6 of casserole
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
12 g fat
5 g sat. fat
29 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
175 mg cholesterol
386 mg sodium
143 mg calcium
1.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't like sausage, use cooked ham. Instead of grating the potatoes yourself, you can use frozen hash browns that you know are not coated with wheat flour.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: August 2012