Nutrition and Fitness
Breakfast on the Go
Note: This recipe is especially for kids with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
You can make this breakfast the night before. It tastes great first thing in the morning and it's also a good source of calcium.
Prep time: 2 minutes
- ¼ c. sliced peaches, canned in extra-light syrup
- 4.4 oz. fruit-flavored, fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 c. oat bran
- 1 tsp. dried cranberries
- Layer peach slices in 16-oz. plastic cup.
- Next, layer the yogurt on top of the peach slices.
- Sprinkle dried cranberries on top of the yogurt.
- Top with oat bran.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Serving size: approximately 1½ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g protein
1 g fat
0.2 g sat. fat
72 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
4 mg cholesterol
128 mg sodium
224 mg calcium
4.8 mg iron
3 carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Try a variety of different yogurt flavors. You can also add some nuts for extra protein.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012