To decide if a heart transplant is the right treatment for your child, our transplant team will carefully assess your child's:
- Medical need for transplant (urgency)
- Blood and diagnostic tests
- Medical history, including previous surgery
- Physical exam
We will also consider what we learned in our meetings with your family.
Once all of your child's information and test results are ready, the entire transplant team will meet to make the decision. A member of the team will communicate the recommendation to you by phone or at your child's next scheduled clinic visit.
Our recommendation could include any of the following:
- Your child is ready to be listed for transplant now.
- Transplant is not the best option for your child.
- Your child may be a candidate for transplant in the future; however, your child is not clinically ready for transplant at this time.
If the team decides that heart transplant is the right treatment option for your child and you as a family agree, your child will be placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) transplant waiting list.