Heart Transplant Clinic
What happens in the Heart Transplant Clinic?
We are committed to providing optimal growth and quality of life for your child. The Heart Transplant Clinic at Seattle Children’s Hospital provides support and follow-up services, including education and counseling, for all of our patients and their families.
Your child will visit the clinic for most appointments before and after the transplantation surgery. The heart transplantation surgery will also be performed at Seattle Children’s.
Whom will we see in the Heart Transplant Clinic?
Your child will be cared for by the same team of doctors, nurses and technicians before, during and after transplant. Our skilled team of specialists includes:
- Doctors who care for children who have heart problems
Pediatric cardiac surgeons
- Doctors who perform heart surgeries on children
Pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists
- Doctors who give your child medicine to sleep during surgery
- Specialists who operate the heart-lung or “bypass” machine during surgery
Advanced registered nurse practitioners
- Nurses with master’s degrees who take primary responsibility for the care of their patients
Registered cardiac nurse coordinators
- Nurses who coordinate whom your child will see during clinic visits
- Dietitians ensure your child gets the nutrition they need for growth and development.
- Pharmacists prepare medications prescribed by doctors and tell you about a medicine’s purpose, effectiveness and side effects.
- Social workers help families understand and address the emotional and practical aspects of medical care.