Children’s has a school on site. Our six teachers and four instructional aides teach hospitalized children at Seattle Children's at no cost to families. We work with medical teams to tailor teaching to your child's needs, and coordinate lessons with your child's existing school program. When it's time for your child to go back to school, we work closely with you and your child's teachers to make sure the return is successful.
Our teachers are all certified by the state of Washington in both general and special education. We teach kindergarten through high-school-aged students and help any child who has to be in the hospital for over one week stay up on their class work. We also serve children who have all types of learning and special needs due to deafness, visual impairments, chronic health problems, physical disabilities, emotional and behavioral disorders and developmental disabilities that can affect school performance and attendance. For children who have limited English, Children’s Interpreter Services is called in to work side by side with our teachers.
Services We Offer
- Instruction from kindergarten through high school
- Classroom teaching for children who can participate in group instruction
- Individual tutoring at bedside for students unable to attend our classroom program
- Early childhood education program for preschool-aged children with special needs
- Academic assessments
- Consultations regarding your child's educational history and school performance
- Recommendations for your child's school on how to meet your child's educational needs
- On a case-by-case basis, school visits and consultations
The hospital school services helped my daughter feel like she could still get enough education and be "caught up" with the school since she wasn't able to attend an actual school at that time.
I cannot begin to tell you how important having school was through my daughter's treatments.
Overall everything went very well and we were very pleased with all the help and assistance we received. We couldn't have asked for anything more. The environment was very inviting and pleasant and made our daughter very comfortable going into class.
School Services Resources