Neuropsychologists are experts in the relationship between the brain, learning and behavior. They conduct evaluations to understand how a child or teen’s brain is developing and working. At Seattle Children’s, neuropsychologists only see children and teens who are referred by another Seattle Children’s provider, such as a doctor from our Neurosurgery Department.
Neuropsychological evaluations can help you and your child’s healthcare team make the right diagnosis and select strategies to help your child reach their potential. This assessment will help to identify areas of strength and need, and will help with your child’s:
- Medical treatment
- Education planning
- Participation in therapy
- Participation in behavior management
Children or teens may be referred to us because they have:
- Difficulty with learning, attention, behavior or socialization
- Difficulty with emotional control
- Illness, disorder or developmental problem that affects the brain
- Brain injury from an accident, medical treatment or other physical stress
Many of our patients have been affected by brain tumors, epilepsy, concussion, cancer, genetic conditions or heart conditions that require a transplant.