Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Why Choose Us
Advanced Treatments and Compassionate Care
We Treat the Whole Child
- You know your child best. We’ll discuss treatments in ways that you can understand, so that you and your child are involved in every decision.
- We treat your whole child, not just their symptoms. Members of our team have special training not only in their field, but also in the unique needs of children and adolescents. We know that gastrointestinal and liver problems affect children and teens differently than adults.
- Psychologist Carin Cunningham can help your child understand and cope with illness.
- Our team includes specialists in adolescent medicine to address the specific physical, mental and emotional needs of adolescents.
- Medicine isn’t always the answer for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Diet plays a big role. We offer options such as exclusive enteral nutrition and the specific carbohydrate diet, always with the guidance of pediatric dietitians.
- Whenever possible, we use diagnostic methods that use low or no radiation, such as ultrasound and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).
Experts Together in One Place
- Our team includes pediatric gastroenterologists, hepatologists (liver specialists), dietitians, surgeons, psychologists, nurses, social workers and child life specialists.
- We coordinate your appointments so that you can see multiple providers in a single visit.
- Based on your child’s needs, your team will work with other Seattle Children’s experts, such as immunologists, allergists and radiologists.
We’re Developing Better Treatments
- We are actively researching and developing new treatments, transforming the care provided to children with gastrointestinal and liver conditions across the country. That means our patients have access to the most current, state-of-the-art-therapies.
- Seattle Children’s was the first research center in the nation to receive federal approval to test the effectiveness of fecal transplants in pediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease, and is the only center studying the treatment in kids with Crohn’s disease.
- We’re part of the Hepatitis B Research Network (HBRN). This is a group of seven pediatric centers around the country collecting data to learn more about hepatitis B, and using innovative therapies to treat this persistent infection.
- We are involved in research providing the most advanced therapies for persistent hepatitis C and other liver diseases.
- We’re one of just 14 pediatric hospitals around the world participating in a National Institutes of Health (NIH)–funded study on childhood pancreatitis.
- We're able to offer many therapies that are only available through clinical studies.
Paige’s Story: Getting Back in the Game
- Paige Norris got her Crohn’s disease under control – and now she’s back on the tennis court. Read more about how nutrition therapy at our IBD Center helped.
When You Need Us, We’re Here for You
- We offer same- or next-day appointments for urgent cases.
- For your convenience, our providers see patients in many locations. You can come to our main campus in Seattle, or our clinics in Bellevue, Everett, Federal Way, Olympia and Richland.
Nationally Recognized Excellence
In 2014, U.S. News & World Report ranked Children’s Gastroenterology program as one of the best in the country.