The application deadline for 2017 Summer Nurse Camp has passed. The application for next year will be available in February 2018.
About the Program
Seattle Children’s is a richly diverse organization. The patients and families we serve come from many backgrounds and bring distinct values, family structures, strengths and special needs. We strive to maintain an atmosphere that reflects our values of inclusion by providing effective and respectful care compatible with each patient and family’s beliefs, values and heritage.
To reach our goals, we are committed to recruiting the best nurses, cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce and inspiring diverse high school students to pursue a career in nursing. Every year we offer local high school students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to participate in our Nurse Camp at Seattle Children’s. During this three-day camp, students will gain insights into the world of pediatric nursing by participating in clinical observation sessions. In these sessions, students will shadow nurses in a clinical environment and observe as they provide patient care and interact with patients and families (students will not provide patient care). Students will also work through interactive hands-on skills labs to learn and practice various nursing skills on models. In addition student will have the opportunity to engage with an educational panel to ask questions and discuss nursing as a viable career path.
Past Clinical Observation sessions have been offered in the following clinical areas:
- Medical Unit
- Surgical Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Cancer Care Unit
- Dialysis Unit
- Infusion Clinic
- Operating Room (OR)
- Inpatient Psychiatry Unit (IPU)
- Pre/Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
- Dates: June 27–29 (three consecutive days)
- Location: Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Hours: approximately 8 a.m.– 4 p.m. each day
- Students must be entering their junior or senior year of high school in the fall of 2017.
- Students must reside in the Puget Sound area.
- Students must be able to attend and participate in all three days of Seattle Children’s Nurse Camp.
Submit a completed application packet and transcripts via email by April 14, 2017.
- The Nurse Camp Committee will select participants and notify all students via email by May 12, 2017.
Thank you for your interest in Seattle Children’s Nurse Camp!