Applications for the 2013–2014 school year are now available.
How to Apply for a Visit
We accept applications for Science Adventure Lab visits from principals and teachers throughout the school year. Applications are reviewed by our selection committee, which meets regularly. We receive many more requests for visits than we can accommodate, so unfortunately, we are unable to visit every eligible school that applies. All applicants will be notified of the decision of the selection committee as soon as possible.
Some of the factors that the selection committee considers when evaluating applications are listed below. Please consider these factors before requesting an application.
- The percentage of students at your school that is eligible for free or reduced lunch. We typically visit schools with greater than 40% eligibility.
- Eligibility for Title I funding.
- The percentage of students that met the minimum standard for the science MSP in the previous school year.
- Location. We seek a geographic balance with our visits. We do visit schools throughout Washington state, but we schedule schools outside of the Seattle metro area in clusters.
- Priority is also given to rural schools with limited access to regional science enrichment opportunities such as visits to Seattle Children’s Research Institute, the Pacific Science Center, the University of Washington or Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
There are certain parameters that the Science Adventure Lab must operate within. Please also keep these in mind when applying for a visit.
- The maximum capacity of the Adventure Lab at any one time, including students, teachers and aides, is 30 people.
- There is a daily maximum of five 60 minute modules, four 75 minute modules, or three 90 minute modules that can be held on the Lab.
- There must be accessible, flat, paved, off-street parking for the Adventure Lab available at the school. The Adventure Lab is 45 feet long, and with the slide-out rooms extended, over 13 feet wide. As a guide, the Adventure Lab is larger than a school bus and closer to the size of a Greyhound tour bus. Please contact us if you are unsure if the Adventure Lab can navigate the parking lots at your school.
If your school is selected for a visit, you will be required to:
- Obtain signed permission slips for all students that will participate (we will provide the necessary forms).
- Complete pre- and post-lab activities (each require less than one class period).
- Commit to scheduling the 60- or 90-minute blocks of time required to complete the experiments on the mobile science lab.
Request an Application
To apply for a visit by the Science Adventure Lab, please request an application via email.