Adapted Swim Lessons are for kids who move, learn, communicate or behave differently. The goal of the program is to prepare children to be successful in mainstream group swim lessons. The instructors are trained to modify water safety and swim skills to meet the needs of each individual child.
The Adapted Swim Lessons class helps children 4–10 years of age become comfortable in the water and teaches basic water safety. Your child doesn't need any prior swim experience to take this class. Children who are transfer-dependent will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and may be allowed to surpass the 10 years of age age limit.
In this 25-minute class, instructors will help students learn to:
- Be safe around pool areas
- Safely enter and exit the pool
- Other swim skills will be assessed based on each child’s physical and developmental abilities.
Transition Adapted Swim Lessons
The Transition Adapted Swim Lessons will help prepare children who are 6 to 14 years of age to transition to a larger facility and be confident and safe in the water. The Transition Adapted lessons are for children who have had prior swim lesson experience. Students will need to be able to swim 15 yards independently and without a instructor in the water before registering.
In this 40-minute class, instructors will help students learn to:
- Follow directions in a small group setting
- Develop endurance
- Instructors will also help prepare students to participate in aquatic programs in their community.
Time and Cost
Adapted Swim Lessons classes are 25 minutes, once a week, for 6 weeks. Each 6-week session is $135. Each child may register for a total of 4 sessions. Pre-registration is required.
Transition Adapted Swim Lessons ckasses are 40 minutes, once a week, for 6 weeks. Each 6-week session is $80. Each child may register for a total of 3 sessions. Pre registration is required.
If you have questions, please call Seattle Children's Therapy Pool at 206-987-2547 or email us.
Click on the link to the registration page. The Register Now button will be visible during the days and times listed.
- Fall I 2016 (Tuesday, September 6 – Thursday, October 13)
- Priority registration is open Monday, August 29, noon – 9 p.m.
- General registration is open Tuesday, August 30 at noon – Thursday, September 1 at 9 p.m.
- Fall II 2016 (Monday, October 24 – Thursday, December 1)
- Priority registration is open Monday, October 17, noon – 9 p.m.
- General registration is open Tuesday, October 18 at noon – Thursday, October 20 at 9 p.m.