We welcome new nursing graduates – and we'll support you as you transition from student to nurse. Generally, Seattle Children's hires new graduate RNs throughout the year, in a variety of clinical areas. The number of new graduate opportunities varies greatly; sometimes no positions are available. New RN jobs are currently posted on Wednesdays (search current openings).
New graduate qualifications
We strongly prefer to hire new graduate RNs with:
- A BSN from a school with a pediatric inpatient acute care, hospital-based clinical rotation where the student plans and provides direct patient care
- Work experience in a pediatric acute care setting and/or a senior student experience in a pediatric acute care setting
New graduates must obtain a Washington state RN license and current BLS for healthcare providers before they begin employment. There will be no exceptions.
As a newly graduated nurse at Children's, you'll receive orientation and ongoing support to help you succeed.
- New graduate orientation usually lasts 8 to 12 weeks or longer depending on the clinical area.
- Unit-based clinical nurse specialists and nurse educators will review the unit skills list with you and design an orientation plan specifically for you.
- Pediatric ICU orientation includes instruction coordinated with clinical practice over several months.
- An RN preceptor will work with you throughout orientation.
- Orientation generally begins on the day shift, but is completed on the shift of your new position (usually nights).
This program offers you the opportunity to be matched with a more experienced nurse who volunteers to provide support during your first year of nursing practice.
Benefits include work/life balance and wellness programs.
Learn more about benefits for nurses.
How to apply
All positions open to new graduates will state "new graduate welcome to apply." Please make sure you apply online only to those positions for which you meet the minimum requirements. For more information, email Nursing Recruitment or call 800-874-6691 (toll-free).